Tuesday 15 February 2011

Scary shoot!

Ok it's done - mixed results. Really felt the pressure with this one! Has taken up so much time designing, planning and creating the clothing, hair and make-up that I was terrified having only one shot to capture the images! Arrived early to help Aggie, who then modelled for me. Got the studio position I needed (after my previous experiment I knew I had to have a white backdrop) but still had to consider others working in the space - which meant I couldn't simply black-out the room, lock the shutter open and use flash to create the multiple exposure I would have liked. Also really struggled with my lens! Am a little obsessive about images being really sharp (unless I'm aiming for soft, blurry and OOF!) and my sharpest lens is a macro! Lovely for portrait shots but hideous for full body shots as I have to be virtually the other end of the room. An added difficulty is the viewfinder on my e620 is rubbish for judging focus at distance. Excuses excuses! Aggie made an amazing model - thick skinned enough to take lots of ordering about! Also made lots of helpful suggestions about the lighting and poses. Fished out an ancient light meter that my dad gave me, which actually did help in judging available lighting, but didn't have a clue how to use it! Mark gave me a quick lesson and Aggie and I compared results between this and the infinitely more modern electronic version! Was pretty much spot on so stuck with it but by the end of the evening think it had had enough because the needle stuck and refused to budge! May have to invest in a marginally less ancient one. Steve helped re-position the lights and also snapped me working - voila me using a light meter shocker!

Really happy with the white card - after sussing out how to set the one step white balance on the function button it was very quick and easy to use. Of course that still didn't stop me reaching the point where having fiddled with the lighting for the fifteenth time, and being at the other end of the room, not bothering to set it again! Cue Mark walking in and instantly noticing my white balance was off! Anyway results below. Definitely have enough shots to work with but wouldn't say there is a single one I am completely happy with! Alot of the distance shots were soft (cue double page spread panic!) and not too sure about some of the shadows on the face. I do love the one with the critter on the hat as I think the shadow created by his claws are very clockwork orange - unfortunately the framing won't work as a cover shot.












































No comments:

Post a Comment