Saturday 5 February 2011

White Balance

Over the last couple of weeks I've been conscious of issues with white balance. I've tried using the automated settings and also selecting colour temperature but have been unhappy with the amount of images that show a distinctive colour cast. Whilst I recognise shooting in RAW means I can amend in post production the whole point of this course is to eliminate the need for anything I could/should be doing in camera! Obviously this week I neglected to set my camera to RAW mode so, had I been planning to use these images for my magazine, I'd have degraded image quality correcting them. Because it's been such an issue of late, and I'm totally daunted by the prospect of getting one opportunity to stage and shoot the images I need, I've been looking into this. 'Voila' Youtube vid' on white balance. Was aware that my camera had a custom white balance and vaguely remembered reading about setting it manually using grey card. Am unable, unwilling!, to splash the cash on fancy colour cards but have sucumbed to purchasing a Lastolite Ezybalance Grey/White card.... bit of a faff to set my camera up initially but got to be worth a try. Shall see how I get on with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment