Monday 13 June 2011

Experimentation: Polaroid triptychs

Finally got around to testing the out of date film (exp: Jan 2005) that I got with my Polaroid camera. Worked surprisingly well! Was half expecting the developer to fail and to end up with half-developed prints (on reflection I would have quite liked it if it had!) but the only real issue was the noticeable colour cast and slight lack of contrast. Decided not to alter this in photoshop as the overall effect is quite distinctive and totally in keeping with the format. I did try scratching one of the images, read a lot about manipulating images as the emulsion was drying, but the results were unimpressive. I think this would work better with images that have a broader colour range. Scanning added its own complications as this resulted in overly bright yellow prints... tried to capture the original look as much as possible but I def' have issues with my monitor (never calibrate yourself you'll only make matters worse!) and am now convinced they have a rather unsavoury green cast to them. Anyway these are the results, have ordered a couple of prints to see what they look like...

I took the first two images in this set and my other half took the one of me (hence lopping off my feet and rather nice shadow!) Quite like the fact that the one sits slightly lower in the frame so have duly forgiven him...



This one was a mistake! I took the chair image and flipped it to create a wallpaper background to set off the polaroids. Then, whilst tidying up the polaroid frame, accidentally deleted the central image. Rather liked it so saved as a seperate file.



Because the actual polaroid image is quite small I decided to present them as triptychs. Think they work quite nicely in threes. In this last one I tried to tell a bit of a story... kind of self explanatory - plastic poundland bunny gets noshed by fake fur critter!




No comments:

Post a Comment