Wednesday 4 May 2011

Experimentation: TTV photography

Had the afternoon off so decided to skip the evening session at college and take some photos out in the real world. The last project was very studio centered so really want to get out and about for this one. I'd dabbled in TTV (Through the Viewfinder ) photography some time ago - but didn't really get much further than purchasing an appropriate vintage camera and constructing a device to hold it in. Because the brief for this assignment requires us to experiment I thought it an ideal opportunity to pick it up again. Didn't have a lot of time as I knew if I wandered too far I'd lose the light so kept local and had a wander up to Perry Wood (note to self: let Hannah know it's full of bikers doing stunts!). Had a few issues, the method is a little clunky and if the whole contraption isn't kept completely square you end up with shadows across the lens... added to this the original contraption was tailor made for a different camera so the focusing distance was slightly off and I did have a few issues with light leaking in. On the whole not unhappy with the results though. You kind of expect a slightly soft focus (see links to people far better than I!) and the imperfections are all part of the charm - at least I think so!



Links for more info
Sharon Rose
TTV Pete
Summersound Photography
Flickr TTV Photography group

No comments:

Post a Comment